Fried Tomato BLT Sandwich
- 3 fresh tomatoes, firm but ripe
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked
- Sliced Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Lettuce, leaves washed and separated
- 8 slices of bread
- Duke’s Mayonnaise
- Wash tomatoes and slice horizontally, about 1/2-inch thick. Discard the top and bottom end pieces, or save for another use.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, cornmeal and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate.
- Pour enough oil in a skillet or cast iron pan to come up the side 1/2 inch. Heat oil to 350°F.
- When oil becomes hot, dip tomato slices in the egg, then in the bread crumb mixture making certain both sides are evenly coated.
- Place tomato slices in the hot oil being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook until the bottom crust is golden brown. Flip the slices and cook the other side.
- Remove the tomato slices from the oil and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat the cooking process with remaining tomatoes.
- Assemble sandwiches with tomatoes, bacon, cheese and lettuce, and a healthy dollop of Duke’s Mayonnaise.