BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole
Like an upside down tamale pie.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup Duke’s Hickory Moonshine BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Grease a deep dish pan pie or 8×8” baking dish
- set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine dry cornbread ingredients in a large bowl. Combine wet cornbread ingredients in another bowl, then add to dry ingredients and blend just until combined.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- While cornbread is baking, mix together chicken, beans and BBQ sauce. When time is up, sprinkle cornbread with half the cheese, top with chicken mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return dish to oven and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Remove dish from oven, sprinkle with cilantro, let sit 5 minutes and serve.